Sunday, May 4, 2008

Yes my Dad's married

This happened when I was working for a company and had to travel quite a distance to reach home. I used to take the city bus but avoided many a bus to wait for an empty bus so as to get a window seat and dream all the way home. I was waiting at the bus station for the bus to arrive when one of my colleagues happened to pass that way. He had a friend with him from another company and together they came over to where I stood at the bus stop. My colleague introduced me and his friend and the conversation veered to why I was missing a bus which could take me home. I explained to the colleague's friend that as I had to travel quite a distance, I preferred to sit rather than stand all the way and therefore I waited for a reasonably empty bus. The friend was not convinced. He felt that I could easily buy a two wheeler and reach home. I told him that the traffic frightened me and the bridge that I had to cross was also dangerous. He was not going to take that for an answer. He wanted to find out if I could afford to buy the two wheeler at all. So he asked me about my father and wanted to know if he was working and providing for the family. He also learnt that ours was a big family and there were more girls than boys. It also happened that the boys were younger. So he probed further. I was getting irritated but decency prevailed and I answered all his questions patiently. He wanted to know if I had elder brothers and sisters. I told him that I had elder sisters and younger brothers. He wanted to know how many elder sisters I had. I told him two. He asked me if my eldest sister was married. I said yes she was married. He then asked if the next elder sister was married. I said she was married too. By now decency was at the end of its tether. He said but "Your father......" He trailed off. Prompt came my answer. "Yes he is married too." He grew red in the face and denied asking anything like that but I was laughing away merrily because I had had enough. Thankfully my empty bus arrived and I was happy that I left the pair staring at me as I boarded the bus.

No comments: